Wednesday 2 April 2014

Gel Nails - Are they really worth the hassle?

Today I thought I would give you my honest opinion on gel nails as honestly I wish I had the chance to hear about someone else's experience before getting mine own done.

I first got gel extensions done in January and they were great, they lasted all month, the colour was impeccable and when they started to grow out I could just repaint them...it was a win win situation!


The first time I got them done I went for an oval shape, they looked lovely and I was still more than capable of going about my day to day tasks. It took about two hours for the whole process to be done, which is quite a long time just to get your nails done but the end result was definitely worth it! The man that did them had filed my own nails too short therefore I left the salon cradling my hands in pain yet still found the time to admire how gorgeous they were! All in the name of beauty, eh? The shape was very easy to get used to and I honestly couldn't see how I'd gone without them! There were a few things I found difficult, for instance peeling labels at work or picking up paper or credit cards off the table but other than that they were absolutely fine. 

The next time I got them done I went for more of an almond shape, this time the salon experience was less painful, quicker and again I left feeling chuffed to bits with my nails. Unfortunately I don't have a picture this time, but I went for a gorgeous princess pink and the colour really did last well! The almond shape was a bit harder to adapt to and things like typing were a bit of a struggle but doable. 

After three weeks they started to feel quite painful and I noticed that the nail was actually coming off and taking my nail with it...gross I know. I rushed into town to get them taken off which in itself was a lengthy process! After getting them taken off, my own nails were quite long, which I was super happy with. Although by the time the day was over nearly all of them had broken and the rest were extremely brittle. 

Nearly a month on and I have had to keep my nails super short in order for them to grow properly and gain strength. My nails are finally getting back to the way I want them and going through the pain of having brittle nails has made me realise it really isn't worth it. I would rather spend £7 to £10 on a nicer, more expensive nail varnish than risking my own nail for a dear cost of £25 to £30.

What are your experiences with gel nails? Are you for or against?


2 comments:

  1. I had gel nails one time - never again. Maybe I am just not the fake nails kinda girl, but getting them taken off was a painful experience. Also, it's really ugly when they start growing out. I love getting my nails done, but I'll stick to the old school mani on my own nails :) Eva xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have same kind of experiences with gel nails and I decided to never have them again. I rather keep my own nails strong and beautiful! But I think this post was a really useful one for those who maybe consider getting ones done, good job :) I love your blog xx

    ReplyDelete